IMQ-induced Psoriasis Mouse Model / Overview
Imiquimod (IMQ) produces a cutaneous phenotype in mice frequently studied as an acute model of human psoriasis.
IMQ is a Toll-like Receptor (TLR7) agonist that can be applied to mouse skin to elicit erythema, scaling, epidermis hyperplasia, hyperkeratosis, parakeratosis and dermis inflammation. IMQ induces also IL-17/ IL-23 axis cytokines.
Imiquimod-Induced Psoriasis Mouse Model is a convenient, easy-to-use and affordable mouse model of acute inflammatory response, which is widely used in mechanistic pharmacology of pathology and as a pre-clinical animal model for drug screening and testing before clinical testing on volunteers psoriatic patients.
Immunocompetent strains topically applied with IMQ for 5 days
Evaluation of in vivo parameters:
– Bodyweights / Ear- back tickness
– Macroscopic scoring (erythema / scaling / etc…)
– Epidermis thickness using OCT
Evaluation of ex vivo parameters:
– Cytokines analysis / Cytometry
– Histology / Anatomo-pathological evaluation
IMQ-induced Psoriasis Mouse Model / Protocol
Immunomodulator induction / imiquimod topical application Immunocompetent rodent sp. (i.e. Balb/c & C57Bl6)
Environment status is important (SPF vs. non SPF conventional housing)
– Skin thickness measurement (ear / back)
– Erythema / Scaling (Clinical endpoints) / Total scoring
Blood samplings for circulating and skin biomarkers analysis (cytokines)
In vivo imaging (OCT)
Ex vivo imaging (histology HES / IHC)
IMQ-induced Psoriasis Mouse Model / Results
Sham vs. IMQ-induction:
– Increase of ear & back thickness
– Epidermis thickness / Dermis inflammation increase
IMQ-induction vs. reference drug:
– Reference drugs: corticoid (topical or oral) / immunosupressors (oral) / TNF inhibitors
– Reduction of ear & back thickness
– Epidermis thickness / Dermis inflammation decrease
IMQ-induced Psoriasis Mouse Model / Conclusion
Imiquimod-Induced Psoriasis Mouse Model is a first intention model, fast and reproducible used a routine model at Imavita.
8 subjects per group are generally sufficient to underline anti-psoriasis effect of new therapeutics (based on difference of at least 20 to 30% of ear / back thickness / epidermis thickness).
Cautions to be taken on this model:
– Housing conditions are important (SPF vs. conventional). Imavita perform this experiment in conventional conditions where results are more reproducible.
– Use of previously untested excipients should be avoided via topical route as they could cause false positive, false negative or local irritation.
– Formulation physico-chemistry must be well known (pH, osmolarity, etc…) as impact on results can be important.
– Drug pharmacokinetics / ADME / transcutaneous passage should be known to optimize dosing.
Do not hesitate to contact us if you need more information or a quotation on this model.